SOMERSWORTH - A fire destroyed a mill building in Somersworth Monday night.
Crews were called to the scene at 225 Main Street just before 8:30 p.m. The building was already up in flames by the time they arrived.
Fire Chief Keith Hoyle said they attacked the fire from three sides using mutual aid from other communities.
Hoyle said the cold was a challenge, as well as the proximity of the fire. Hoses had to be stretched from the building to nearby hydrants.
Hoyle said no injuries were reported to firefighters or civilians.
The cause of the fire will be investigated. There were workers in the building earlier in the day.
"It's too early at this point to speculate on the cause of the fire," Hoyle said.
Hoyle said even though the mill building had been abandoned for some time, there was a firm working to renovate the structure.
Hoyle expected the fire to burn through the night, but said the situation was safe enough for people to stay in their homes.
"There's no hazardous material in the warehouses that we're aware of. And there's no natural gas or LP gas in this area, so as of right now, the residents are fine," Hoyle said.
Traffic was being diverted in the area Monday night.