NASHUA — A gas leak in the street caused the evacuation of 25 residents from buildings on Chase Street in Nashua Thursday afternoon, fire officials said.

Liberty officials assisted Nashua firefighters with treating the leak.

They traced it to a 1-inch gas line that ruptured during construction work on the street earlier Thursday.

An investigation confirmed that excavation work being done on Chase Street led to the incident, said Deputy Fire Chief Steve Buxton, who was the commander on the scene.

There were 15 firefighters on three trucks that responded to the incident at 3:37 p.m. and they safely evacuated the residents, officials said.

Nashua fire officials did air monitoring within all the residences on the street before they allowed residents to return to their homes.