Central Street fire

Firefighters clean up after a fire at an apartment building at 322 Central St. in Manchester on Tuesday.

MANCHESTER — City firefighters rescued and revived a cat in respiratory distress due to a fire in a six-family apartment building on Central Street early Tuesday morning.

Firefighters were dispatched to 322 Central St. at 8:37 a.m. Tuesday to investigate reports of a fire on the third floor. Upon arrival, fire crews reported that a third-floor apartment was filling with smoke. Firefighters reported seeing smoke venting from the third and second floors and the attic.

Fire crews stretched a hose line to the second floor, where a kitchen/dining area was fully involved and flames were spreading to adjacent rooms and apartments.

After extinguishing the primary fire, firefighters opened up walls in adjacent areas to attack any remaining flames consuming those spaces.

Firefighters reported that not all the occupants of the building had exited the residence at the time firefighters arrived, with some sleeping or otherwise unaware of the fire. The residents were roused and evacuated, along with several pets.

According to Manchester District Fire Chief Mike Gamache, a cat in respiratory distress was rescued from the apartment by firefighters.

“The cat, I’m not sure if it’s male or female, was struggling to breathe,” said Gamache. “Our guys, along with an AMR crew, administered some oxygen to the cat, provided stimulation and revived it.”

Gamache said the cat was transported to a local emergency veterinary hospital.

“The last I heard, the cat is expected to survive,” said Gamache.

One resident who was evacuated from the building was able to save a pet ferret.

“We were able to throw four or five crews at (the fire), which helped save that building,” said Gamache. “It’s an older building, and the fire could have easily spread into the walls and we could have lost it.”

No injuries were reported, but one resident was displaced.

Gamache said the cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.

“A stove top was inadvertently turned on as it was brushed against as the resident was leaving for work,” said Gamache. “There were combustible items on the stove top, which caught fire.”

Damage estimates come in at $25,000, Gamache said.

Friday, November 15, 2019
Thursday, November 14, 2019
Wednesday, November 13, 2019