HOOKSETT — An hours-long armed standoff in bitterly cold weather came to an end late Sunday night when police used bean-bag rounds to apprehend a man who had barricaded himself of a North Reading Street home.

At approximately 2 p.m. on Sunday, police say the suspect, 55-year-old Jasmin Biscanin of Hooksett, had threatened to harm himself, his live-in girlfriend and the girlfriend’s dog.

Biscanin’s girlfriend fled the home and went to the Hooksett police station to report the threats.

Police later confirmed that they’ve dealt previously with Biscanin for issues related to threatening.

The girlfriend also informed police that Biscanin had at least two firearms in the 30 North Reading St. home.

When officers attempted to contact Biscanin at home, police say he refused to come out and made threats against the officers.

The threats prompted police request assistance from the Southern New Hampshire Special Operations Unit, a SWAT team that serves 10 municipalities in the southern tier of the state.

At approximately 5:25 p.m., police set up a command center inside the Derry Police Department’s Mobile Command Vehicle, which was parked in the rear parking lot of Alpha Bits Daycare Center. Police also established a perimeter around the home and began negotiating with Biscanin to get him to come outside.

Police snipers were also camped out in the woods behind the home.

At 6:51 p.m., Hooksett police sent out a message via Twitter: "We currently have an active situation in the area of North Reading Street. Please stay out of the area until further notice. We will update you as soon as we have more information."

Police also asked several individuals who lived in close to the house where Biscanin was holed up to leave their homes.

The standoff went on late into the night, with negotiators repeatedly imploring Biscanin to exit the house.

Hooksett Police Chief Janet Bouchard confirmed that Biscanin briefly stepped out of the home, which allowed officers to see that Biscanin was concealing a firearm in the waistband of his pants.

"He had come out once earlier in the night and he did have firearm in his waistband, so we knew he was armed and that raised up the seriousness of the issue," said Bouchard. "So they wanted to wait him out."

Biscanin emerged from the home a second time at approximately 10 p.m., at which point Bouchard said officers fired three bean-bag rounds in order to surprise Biscanin and give officers the opportunity to take him into custody.

No officers were harmed as a result of the altercation.

Biscanin was transported to the Hooksett Police Department, where he was booked and charged with two courts of reckless conduct with a deadly weapon, two counts of domestic violence related reckless conduct, two counts of criminal threatening and two counts of domestic violence related criminal threatening.

Police are also executing a search warrant of the home.

Biscanin was held without bail and will be arraigned Monday at 1 p.m. at the Merrimack County Superior Court.

Bouchard stated that she was grateful to her officers and the members of the SOU team for their response to the incident.

"I'm thankful to the Hooksett officers and the Special Operations team that I have. It was cold, and they were standing out there for a long time and everyone knows it wasn't comfortable," said Bouchard.

She also thanked residents who evacuated their homes for their patience.