19th century house fire likely accidental, Exeter chief says

Firefighters worked to bring a fire under control in Exeter Tuesday afternoon.

EXETER — A fire that broke out in the area of the roof line of a 19th-century home Tuesday afternoon was determined to be accidental, fire officials said.

The noontime fire at 63 Park St. was caused by a construction crew replacing roofing material on a shed portion of the building, officials said.

Firefighters arrived to find flames on a shed roof addition that had extended into the home and pushed by winds in excess of 20 mph.

The fire was declared under control in less than an hour, but the home sustained moderate damage to the rear section due to fire, smoke and water.

“We had to open the ceilings up and the Sheetrock to stop that fire from advancing,” Fire Chief Brian Comeau said.

The home was built in 1852.

Exeter crews were assisted by approximately 30 firefighters from Durham, East Kingston, Hampton, Newfields, Newmarket, North Hampton. Exeter Hospital’s Advanced Life Support crew assisted as well, along with the Lee Fire Department, which provided an air bottle fill trailer.

Hampton Falls, Kensington, and Amesbury, Mass., provided station coverage in Exeter while crews battled the fire.

Kingston Ambulance also handled multiple requests for medical aid in Exeter during the blaze.