Laconia fire

A two-alarm fire caused by disposal of wood-stove ashes at 724 White Oaks Road in Laconia Sunday night, Oct. 20, 2019, caused an estimated $125,000 in damage, according to Fire Chief Kirk Beattie.

LACONIA — Improper disposal of wood stove ashes is being blamed for a fire that ruined a White Oaks Road home Sunday, officials said.

The fire was reported at 6:20 p.m. Arriving firefighters found flames had engulfed the 1½-story house, prompting a second alarm.

Confronted with an 800-foot-long driveway, and the only available hydrant about a mile away, firefighters called for mutual aid, bringing additional personnel and tanker trucks to the remote home to help feed water to the scene.

The fire was declared under control in two hours and crews remained on site for an additional 90 minutes to ensure all hot spots were extinguished.

The occupants of the single-family home at 724 White Oaks Rd. in the Weirs district were alerted to the fire by smoke detectors, Fire Chief Kirk Beattie said.

No injuries were reported.

The three adults and a teenager who lived in the home were displaced as damage was estimated at $125,000, Beattie said.

According to city records, the three-bedroom, two-bath home, with three fireplaces, built in 1977 is owned by Gregory D. and Eileen Ferraro.

The home was assessed for tax purposes at $193,900 and the 34 acres that surround it at $206,600.

Laconia firefighters were assisted by Gilford, Belmont, Meredith, Holderness and Franklin fire departments, and Laconia police. Meredith, Center Harbor, Belmont and Meredith EMS provided coverage.

Friday, November 15, 2019
Thursday, November 14, 2019
Wednesday, November 13, 2019