When Michael Linquata -- a U.S. Army medic fresh out of Gloucester High School in Gloucester, Mass. -- arrived at a World War II battalion aid station on the fields of Belgium, the man issuing equipment to arriving U.S. troops greeted him with a chilling forecast that went beyond the brutal, wintry weather.

“’You have 15 days to live,’ he told me,” Linquata recalls now. “Here I am 19 years old and hearing that. I guess that was the average for the men who were coming through at the time. But I thought it was a bunch of bull. I guess it just wouldn’t be my time to go.”

It was 75 years ago this month that Linquata and many others confronted those odds in what came to be known as the Battle of the Bulge.

Waged in December 1944 and January 1945 in the Ardennes region of eastern Belgium -- and extending eastward into Luxembourg and ultimately Germany -- the Battle of the Bulge marked Germany’s final western offensive of the war. It proved to be the equivalent of Hitler’s last stand before the Third Reich unconditionally surrendered in May 1945.

That ending did not come until an estimated 75,000 U.S. troops and between 80,000 and 100,000 German soldiers had died in what, following the Normandy invasion, proved to be the final turning point of the war. And it did not come until Linquata, now 94, had trudged miles through persistent sub-freezing temperatures and nearly 2 feet of snow, and then endured three months as a German prisoner of war.

“Mike is one of the most influential people for me in terms of coping with some of the things that happened,” said Adam Curcuru, Gloucester and Cape Ann’s director of veterans services. The Battle of the Bulge “really was the pinnacle toward victory in Europe, yet he’s so humble and took the lessons he learned there to turn into positives and helping others. He’s a true inspiration.”

Linquata, who graduated from Gloucester High School in 1944, tried to enlist in the Navy but was turned down because he was colorblind. When he tried to get into the Army, he got help from a Gloucester friend who tipped him off to the answers to a colored lights test. Then he was whisked off to Europe aboard the Queen Mary, where one of his fellow passengers was British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

“He had a lot better accommodations than we did,” Linquata said with a laugh. “But we did see him, and he gave us all the ‘V’ for victory sign when we were getting off.”

Dispatched to the northern-France city of Le Havre, Linquata was then shuttled to Belgium and the front as a member of the Army’s 134th Combat Infantry.

Weaponless under fire

The thing he remembers most?

“Cold. It was so cold,” he said, adding that he turned down a chance to return to the Bulge battlegrounds this year because of the weather.

At the front, he first served at a makeshift hospital in a garage. Army stations “could be anywhere -- in a farmhouse, a barn, a garage, anywhere,” he said.

As a medic, Linquata did not carry arms, and never had any training with weapons. Yet he found himself accompanying an advancing battalion that came under intense German mortar fire one day in a skirmish that left several Americans dead and 20 more wounded.

Scrambling to treat the wounded in the snow, he called for an ambulance, but none could hear the call. He then took a poll of the troops, who agreed to turn themselves in (to their German pursuers) if it meant getting needed help for their colleagues.

“It was terrible. They were losing blood; they were going to freeze to death. We were going to lose them all,” he said.

He set out to seek help and came upon two German tanks.

“I had my hands over my helmet, and I had the red cross symbol on my helmet and on my sleeves, so they knew I was a medic. I wasn’t threatening them,” he said.

To bridge the language barrier, he used makeshift sign language to convey there were 20 men wounded nearby, and the Germans provided aid, he said.

With that, Linquata became a prisoner of war. He would be held at a nearby camp called Bad Orb, or Stalag XB, for more than three months before Army troops liberated him and others in the war’s final days.

‘A blessed life’

Linquata would hear later that roughly half of the prisoners taken by Germany were to be executed. He also said some prisoners were beaten -- “that happened to anyone who did something wrong,” he said, adding that, despite being interrogated once, he never met that fate, either.

Conditions, however, were grim. Prisoners had no beds, electricity or running water; they were granted heat for just two hours a day. Camp quarters were infested with lice. “They were biting us day and night. You could feel it,” he said.

The camp was also grossly short of food. An estimated 300 men at the camp died of starvation, he said. By the time he was freed, he had dropped from 155 to about 85 pounds.

“When the Army came to pick us up, they transported us out in truckloads to a makeshift base maybe 20 miles away -- with good heating systems and the chance for hot showers,” he said. “We felt like we were in heaven.”He returned first to Le Havre, then back to the U.S. and Gloucester.

He was awarded four Bronze Stars, the French Legion of Honor and a Presidential Unit Citation for his service.

Linquata, essentially patriarch of the family that has run The Gloucester House restaurant for more than 60 years, also advocated for Gloucester’s World War II Memorial.

“In a way, I know I’ve had a blessed life,” he said. “The war is something you can never forget, but I know I just had God and the angels looking after me.

“I really can’t complain,” he said. “I always thought that’s a useless thing to do.”

Thursday, January 23, 2020
Wednesday, January 22, 2020
Sunday, January 19, 2020