NHL: Boston Bruins at Dallas Stars

Bruins center Karson Kuhlman, left, is hit by Stars left wing Jamie Benn during the third period of Thursday night's NHL season opener in Dallas. Boston hung on for a 2-1 win.

Brett Ritchie and Danton Heinen scored in the first six minutes as the Boston Bruins held off the host Dallas Stars 2-1 in both teams' season opener Thursday night.

Tuukka Rask had 28 saves as the Bruins began with a victory after losing in Game 7 of last season's Stanley Cup Final. Boston won the first of four road games to kick off the campaign.

Roope Hintz scored the lone goal for the Stars. Ben Bishop stopped 18 shots.

Dallas lost three players to injury in the contest, none more serious than when 14-year veteran defenseman Roman Polak was stretchered off the ice following a head-first collision into the boards in the second period. Polak was taken to a nearby hospital for evaluation, the team announced.

Blake Comeau (lower body) and Jason Dickinson (upper body) also sustained injuries early and did not return.

Ritchie, who played for the Stars the past five seasons, got revenge on his former team during his first shift as a member of the Bruins. The 26-year-old snuck a wrister from the left circle past Bishop for a 1-0 lead 69 seconds into the contest.

Charlie Coyle, who wrestled the puck free to Ritchie, earned an assist.

Five minutes later, with less than 30 seconds remaining on the first of four Bruins power plays, Heinen beat Bishop -- again from the left circle -- for a 2-0 margin at 5:59. Charlie McAvoy and Matt Grzelcyk assisted.

The rest of the first period was a defensive struggle, Boston holding a 6-4 edge in shots at the end.

Shortly after Polak's injury in the second, Hintz broke away to beat Rask up high to get the Stars within one at 7:55. Prized offseason acquisition Joe Pavelski assisted, along with Mattias Janmark.

Dallas couldn't even the score despite several scoring chances early in the third, including good looks by Tyler Seguin and Hintz. The Stars pulled Bishop with 90 seconds left to no avail.

The Bruins played without forward David Krejci, who was a game-time decision with a lower-body injury.