At least eight members of the Red Sox organization have entered contact tracing as a result of Saturday’s COVID-19 news.

Matt Barnes tested positive for the virus and has started a mandatory 10-day quarantine at his Florida home. Boston counts four individuals who were considered close contacts with Barnes, subjecting them to a mandatory seven-day quarantine from the time of their potential exposure.

The Red Sox are likely to be somewhat limited among their pitching staff and, possibly, their coaching staff for Opening Day against the Orioles on Thursday. Four others are under what Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association describe as extra scrutiny through their mutually agreed-upon protocols announced in February.

“I’m going to stay away from names,” Boston manager Alex Cora said. “You guys will see throughout the next three days. You guys are smart enough.”

Matt Andriese was scratched from his scheduled Saturday start against the Pirates in Grapefruit League action. Garrett Richards last pitched on Tuesday against Atlanta and isn’t among the scheduled starters through the spring finale. Garrett Whitlock last worked on March 19 against the Rays. The Rule 5 Draft pick from the Yankees was previously informed by Cora he would make the 26-man roster out of camp.

“It’s just another feature of the season we all have to contend with,” Red Sox chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom said. “This is why we have focused so much on doing the right thing and trying to adhere to the protocols.

“If this does happen, it stays contained. This is why we plan for worst-case scenarios and build depth and try to build resilience in our group.”

Nathan Eovaldi remains the starter for Thursday against Baltimore. Tanner Houck and Martin Perez are scheduled for five innings apiece in the final two games in Florida and could draw starts in the opening series at Fenway Park. The Boston Globe reported Nick Pivetta threw a bullpen session at JetBlue Park on Sunday, which would keep him in the line to make a start against either the Orioles or Rays during the opening homestand.

“There’s a good chance some of these guys will be able to be there for us for Opening Day,” Cora said. “It’s when you had contact with Matt, and that’s why you wear the GPS device.”

The Red Sox had four players test positive prior to summer camp last July, but Boston remained virus-free following its July 24 opener. Outbreaks among the Marlins and Cardinals forced widespread schedule changes throughout the game, with postponements and seven-inning doubleheaders filling the calendar in September. Few franchises played their 60 games without disruption; the Red Sox were among the fortunate.

“Last year we experienced what it feels like to know one of your players tested positive, but we didn’t have that experience after intake,” Bloom said. “This is a whole different feeling. You start thinking about all the different ways this could trend and the worst-case scenarios, and that’s part of our job — to make sure we’re prepared for those.”

Ryan Brasier (finger, personal) is the only member of the Red Sox bullpen besides Barnes who wasn’t scheduled to work in a game between Saturday against Pittsburgh and Tuesday against Atlanta. Adam Ottavino, Josh Taylor, Austin Brice and Phillips Valdez all pitched on Sunday against Minnesota while Darwinzon Hernandez, Brice and Ottavino are expected to work on Monday. Hirokazu Sawamura and Colten Brewer will both come out of the bullpen on Tuesday.

“It was probably going to be a work in progress early on because of where we’re at roster-wise and who’s available and who’s not,” Cora said. “Now we actually have to think about it and some guys have to step up. That’s the bottom line.

“One guy is down, two guys are down — somebody has to do the job. We have capable guys.”

Cora was in better spirits on Sunday than 24 hours earlier when he broke the news. His morning included an early call to Bloom, who is away from camp while observing the start of Passover with his family. Bloom sensed immediately some unpleasant news was forthcoming.

“You know it’s not good news even before you pick up the phone,” Bloom said. “It’s just a question of what the topic is. But again, this is why we have these processes in place.”

Barnes remains the lone confirmed positive among the Red Sox, who took both PCR and rapid tests on Saturday. Boston will make the necessary adjustments through the final days of camp and during its trip home for Thursday’s opener. The Red Sox are hoping Christian Vazquez (eye) will be available against Baltimore and could reincorporate Eduardo Rodriguez (left arm) depending upon the results of his scheduled Monday bullpen session.

“I think our process is good,” Cora said. “The organization did an amazing job yesterday. We’re not out of it yet, but we feel better right now than we did yesterday in the morning.”

Recommended for you