The Boston Red Sox will put off their visit to the White House until May because of the lingering government shutdown, The Boston Globe reported on Friday.

The reigning world champions had intended to visit on Feb. 15, but were reportedly uncomfortable with the idea of celebrating while federal workers were going without pay.

White the trip is not mandatory, team president Sam Kennedy said earlier this month he expects "a healthy representation of ownership, executives, coaches and players" to attend.

The visit is now expected to take place between May 6-8, when the Red Sox have a series in Baltimore against the Orioles.

Red Sox manager Alex Cora has said he's unsure whether he'll attend. Cora has been critical of President Donald Trump's stance on Cora's native Puerto Rico and the devastation caused by Hurricane Maria in 2017. Cora's family was on the island when the hurricane hit.

"There's a few things that have come up in the last 10 days about Puerto Rico," Cora said. "It's a topic that back home is huge. But like I said, if I go, I'll represent Puerto Rico the right way. I don't know what kind of platform I'm going to have if I go. It's not that I've changed my mind, but we'll see what happens in the upcoming days."