BOSTON — The Red Sox have had recent discussions with Major League Baseball about hosting an All-Star Game in the near future, team president and CEO Sam Kennedy said Friday.

“We would love to have an All-Star Game,” Kennedy said, speaking at the groundbreaking ceremony for the MGM Music Hall at Fenway Park. “In fact, I talked to some of the folks at MLB last week about the possibility.”

Kennedy previously expressed an interest in hosting an All-Star Game at Fenway Park in the next three to five years. He plans to soon discuss the possibility with the city’s convention centers, which would host the other events throughout the All-Star week.

“We need more space for it to take over the whole city. We’ve told MLB we would like to host,” Kennedy said. “We don’t have any specific plans or a specific year. Obviously, 1999 was the last time so we’d like to make it happen in the near future.”

Boston won’t host an All-Star Game in either of the next two years, as Los Angeles will host in 2020 and Atlanta is tabbed for 2021. Philadelphia has the 2026 game, so Fenway could theoretically be slated for a year in the 2022-25 range.

Kennedy discusses MiLB proposal

Kennedy declined to get into the specifics of Major League Baseball’s proposal to eliminate 42 minor-league teams, citing the ongoing negotiations between MLB and Minor League Baseball. He said the Red Sox are generally supportive of MLB’s wishes.

The Lowell Spinners, Boston’s short-season Single-A affiliate, are one of the teams in danger of folding if the proposal is agreed upon.

“I don’t know where the negotiations are going to go,” he said. “We’ve been fortunate, because we’ve got great affiliates. Our hope is, there can be a resolution where if we do end up with just four affiliates, that we can preserve the ones we had. That’ll all play out here over the next few months as the two sides negotiate.”

Kennedy has spoken with some key characters involved in the proposal, including U.S. Rep. Lori Trahan and Spinners owner Dave Heller, in recent days.

“Just to keep them in the loop on what I’m hearing and they told me what they’re hearing,” Kennedy said. “We’ll keep communicating with them.”

No comment on Astros investigation

Both Kennedy and principal owner John Henry declined to comment on the league’s ongoing investigation into a report that the Astros electronically stole opposing teams’ signs in 2017. Red Sox manager Alex Cora and bullpen coach Craig Bjornson, who both worked for Houston in 2017, have been interviewed by the league about their involvement.

“Alex acknowledged that he has spoken to MLB and he wants to leave it at that, as he should,” Kennedy said. “We’ll see where it all goes.”